Saturday, February 25, 2012

James Van Hurst III

Yep he's here.  He is happy and handsome and healhty too.  We have decided to call him Van. 
Here is his story:
Last Friday night by the time I left the hospital with my dad (read my last post for details on that) I was having contractions 2 minutes apart.  I was pretty certain it was just my body being exhausted and stressed but we decided to go over to the hospital in which I deliver to be checked out.  After laying there for 2 hrs my body relaxed and calmed down and contractions were 8-9 minutes apart so we went home.  At that time I was dialated at a 3.
I was very glad he didn't come that weekend so I could spend the weekend with my dad and family.  My dad was released from the hospital Tuesday morning.  Now the baby could come.  All day Tuesday I kept having little signs that could be early labor signs and I questioned if my water had broken and was leaking a little bit.  By later that afternoon the signs were stronger, so I layed down for 15 min to see if my water had broken.  When I stood up there was a significant amount of leakage.  I decided to test one more time to be sure and I had the same result.  So I was pretty sure my water had broken so off to the hospital we went.  We got there and I was still at a 3 and not having regular contractions.  So they tested to see if my water had broken.  They told me the test was negative and sent me back home.  I am still in a but of shock.  I can't believe that my bladder had that much liquid in it.  Oh well I guess I lost some dignity.
Well Wednesday morning I was scheduled to be induced so in we went.  When we checked in I was dialated at a 4 1/2.  They broke my water for real (about 9:30) and my Dr mentioned that my sack was double layered so I wonder....  James and I walked around for awhile and I was having contractions about 5 min apart.  By about 12:00 I was dialated to a 5 but my contractions were still only 5 min apart.  I must admit it hadn't been that long since we started but with the week I had had, I was worn out.  So we decided to try and speed things up with pitocin.  Okay now contractions were coming rather hard and fast.  They were getting more intense with each one and I was really about to wear out.  At 2:30 I felt like I was in transition so they checked me again and I was at a 6.  I cried.  I asked for an epidural and fast please.  I got the epidural and it was fast.  They checked me again and I was at a 9 1/2.  Oh I guess I was in transition...  Oh well the edge of the pain had been taken off although the epidural hadn't fully set in.  Baby's heart rate was getting a little concerning so it was time to push and get him out.  They had me pushing non stop.  Not just with contractions because they were concerned about him.  Then they yelled at me to stop pushing.  I looked in the mirror and saw why.  The cord was wrapped around his neck twice.  Yeah I stopped pushing.  They quickly unwrapped it and then yelled at me to push again.  Two more pushes and he was out.  He looked a little blue.  He wasn't crying. but after a few seconds of rubbing his back he started to cry.  What a relief that was.  James cut the cord and they took him to clean him up etc.  His apgar was 8-9 so he was perfectly fine and healthy.  He just gave us a little scare.  He was born at 3:11.  He weighed 7 lb 15oz and was 19 1/2 inches long.
Recovery has been going very well and he has been perfect and healthy.  I have a little cold but I am doing what I can to knock it out quick.
The girls love him and I can't get Kaylee to leave  him alone.  She adores him.  She just wants to pat and kiss and hold him. 
Here are a bunch of pictures.
1st bath:

  He just peed all over dad.  Hehe

The girls visiting baby brother:

As you can tell Kaylee would not leave him alone.

Baby Van relaxing:

 Grandpa visiting Baby Van.  These two could hardly wait to meet each other.


Jocelyn said...

congrats little boys are so fun!

Bonnie said...

Welcome, Van! So happy you're here! Congratulations, Liz and James.

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing your labor story Cute Hurst boy! Chad and I read it all as well as the miracle story below. Wonderful miracles this month. Congrats!

Britt said...

He's so cute! And I totally love that it looks like he's smiling when he peed on his daddy. Such a boy thing to do. ;) Glad your dad could be there too. Grandparents are special. Congratulations!