Sunday, November 23, 2008

Recipe #2 Daddy Pancakes

Most of you probably have your own version of this and own name, but since I am focusing on James this week this is what I am sharing. I believe the most official name for these are German Pancakes, I have also heard them called rollar coasters. I grew up calling them pop-eye pancakes. The reason we called them pop-eye pancakes is beacuse when you take them out of the oven they have large bulges is them that resemble muscles. When Erin was 2 we made a batch and the muscles were the biggest I had ever seen, James jokeingly said those aren't pop-eye pancakes they are daddy pancakes. Ever since we have called them daddy pancakes. Even though they are a breakfast item we usually eat them for dinner. Oh well, we love them.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put 6 Tbsp of butter in 9x13 pan and place in preheating oven(watch it so it doesn't burn). In the mean time mix
7 eggs
1c flour
1c milk
dash of salt
in your blender. Scrap sides and mix again.
Pour batter over butter and bake for 20 min.

We like to top them with powder sugar and lemon juice. I have also heard of just regular syrup or a apple strussel type topping for them. But I like to stick with powder sugar and a little lemon juice.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Mmm mmmm. I like your cute story and new name. We love these too. We call them hootananny pancakes. After we pull them out of the oven and set them on the table everyone yells, "Hootananny!" We eat them every Christmas morning and some other times too. We also love lemon juice and powdered sugar. My last few batches haven't turned out near as puffy and "muscly" as yours. Wow! They look great!

Jocelyn said...

I always called them hootenanny pancakes {don't ask me why, that's just what they were called in my house} I haven't had these in YEARS! i should give them a try soon! thanks for sharing. I love eating breakfast for dinner! Have you ever tried sweet butter cream syrup? {it taste almost like carmel} it's great let me know and I'll send you a reciepe

Liz said...

HOw fuuny you both called them hootananny. That syrup sounds delicously awful. I would love the recipe.

Bonnie said...

I have a feeling these pancakes will find their way onto my menu this week. Thanks for the reminder.

Britt said...

It's funny how most people call them German Pancakes. I've been to Germany and they don't eat anything like that for breakfast.

BTW-thanks for sharing pics of James. I know you miss him. I'm glad he's doing alright.